Firstly it’s important to know that you can’t actually “shrink” your pores. They’re nothing but small openings in the skin – because they don’t have muscles, they can’t open or close. Pores are more noticeable and may appear larger when they become clogged with dirt, oil and dead skin cells.
To reduce the appearance of large pores, start by keeping them clean. Use a gentle cleanser twice a day, but you should also use it after you sweat to prevent oil from building up. Just be careful not to scrub too much: When you over-wash, your skin responds as if it’s dried out, so it produces more oil to compensate. That just makes your problem worse. Using an exfoliating cleanser once a week will also help, because it breaks down dead skin cells that clog pores and can give your skin a smoother appearance.
Clean and “tiny” pores are within reach with just a few changes to your skin care regimen, here are some tips:
- Steam your face. Steaming your face will unplug your pores. Fill a basin with warm water, but refrain from making the water scalding hot. Hold your face over the basin for 1 to 3 minutes. For better results, drape a towel over your head. This will maximize the steaming effect.
- Apply a clay mask. Clay masks should be an important part of your beauty regime as clay pulls the impurities out of your pores, use at least once a week.
- Drench a washcloth in lemon and pineapple juice. Place the washcloth firmly on your face for one minute. Then rinse your skin with warm water. Lemon and pineapple juice contain natural enzymes that tighten and firm the face while also purifying and brightening the skin if you have sensitive skin use a moisturiser before treatment just to make sure the citrus doesn’t break you out. Lemon particularly has the ability to cleanse and shrink the appearance of pores.
- Apply ice cubes to your face. Place the ice cubes gently along your pores for 15 to 30 seconds. This will have a tightening effect on your skin.
- Eat more citrus fruits. Oranges produce firmer skin and rebuild collagen, which may contribute to increasing the elasticity of your skin and reducing your pore walls. Tangerines also have this effect.