As people age, their skin loses its ability to rejuvenate itself and natural elasticity decreases. This, along with genetics, exposure to the elements, diet and bad habits like smoking can cause skin to dry out and wrinkle.
However, there are actually many things you can do to help ward off wrinkles and caring for your skin from an early age may actually help it age slower and maintain a youthful appearance longer. Take a look at our top anti-ageing skin tips below.
- Choose your skincare product wisely – As you age, you need to be more careful about the products you use to prevent further skin damage. Rough, abrasive skincare products are not necessary on mature skin. Choose a mild face cleanser, toner that does not contain alcohol and a cream moisturizer. Avoid regular soap because it can have a drying effect.
- Beware of the sun – 90 per cent of the visible signs of ageing are caused by the sun, even though they may not show up until years after sun exposure has occurred. It is imperative to use sunscreen on your face and body whenever you are outside… and even if it is cloudy.
- Eating to prevent ageing skin – A balanced, healthy diet is important for maintaining healthy skin, especially when it includes foods rich in antioxidants. Eat a diet filled with brightly coloured fruits and vegetables, including carrots, apricots, spinach, and fresh berries like blueberries, as well as fish and nuts that contain important Omega-3 fatty acids. Limit foods high in fat and carbohydrates as these have been found to promote ageing of the skin.
- Cut down on sugar – Sugar is a staple of many people’s diets, yet is also a leading cause of skin ageing. When blood sugar levels are high a process called glycation occurs which damages the collagen in your skin. Once damaged, the collagen hardens, leading to wrinkles and sagging.
- Stop smoking – Cigarette smoke can irritate the skin and deprive it of oxygen and nutrients, while the act of smoking can cause wrinkles to appear around the mouth. If you are a smoker, one of the best things you can do for your appearance and health is to try to break the habit now.
- Avoid stress – A study has shown that chronic stress can actually accelerate cellular ageing, leading to wrinkles. To help keep your skin wrinkle-free, try experimenting with some stress-busting techniques to help cope with stressful situations, such as meditation, exercise or yoga.
- Exercise – Yes, exercise can help keep you looking younger. Frequent and regular aerobic exercises and other relaxing workouts, including dance and yoga, promote the blood flow to the skin, which helps increase the rate of new cell growth and the production of natural oils and moisture. It also helps to eliminates toxins
- Supplement your skin – Eat your way to radiant, younger looking skin with help: revitalise my skin. Delicious apple flavoured help: revitalise my skin gel supplement keeps skin in tip top condition with skin boosting ingredients CoEnzymeQ10, a proven anti-ageing agent, and Aloe Vera, which aids skin regeneration. The handy gel sticks will fit in any size handbag and can be eaten on the go – perfect for those who are looking for a guilt free snack!