Stress and skin ageing unfortunately go hand in hand
Worry and anxiety can wreak havoc on our skin, in fact the condition of your complexion is a very good barometer of the level of stress you’re under.
Everyone’s skin reacts differently but dehydration, dullness, breakouts and uneven skin tone are all signs your skin could be having a mini breakdown. According to anti-ageing expert and Harley Street specialist Lesley Reynolds, stress is second only to the sun in terms of the damage it can do to the skin.
When you are under pressure the body produces the hormone adrenaline which can easily upset the balance of all the other hormones.
This can cause sweating and excess oil production as well as throwing the immune system into overdrive.
It can even make a dormant skin condition such as acne, eczema or psoriasis flare up.
Stress can also accelerate the ageing process as we tend to frown and squint a lot more when we’re anxious and this can speed up the development of wrinkles.
Long-term worries can also slow the production of collagen and elastin and after the age of 45 this can result in sagging.
10 Easy ways to unwind and banish anxiety
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day. This will help release endorphins which can banish anxiety as well as boosting circulation to the skin.
- Eat a balanced diet and drink plenty of water.
- Learn to unwind by doing something for yourself. Read a book or try yoga and deep breathing exercises.
- Say no sometimes. Set yourself limits so you’re not trying to do everything for everyone all the time.
- Be realistic about your goals. Don’t try to be perfect in everything you do.
- Snack on foods that are good for your complexion such as raw fruits and vegetables and almonds.
- Eat foods high in vitamin C including oranges, kiwi, pineapple and mango. A German study found that this vitamin helps reduce stress and return blood pressure to normal levels after a stressful situation and also boosts the immune system.
- Hands-on therapies such as reiki and aromatherapy can help you to relax.
- Banish negative thoughts and think positively. Stop dwelling on the past or worrying about the future and instead try to visualise good things happening for you.
- Listen to some soothing music. Slow-paced numbers can help to lower the heart rate and blood pressure.
HOW help: revitalise my skin can leave you looking younger
help: revitalise my skin gel sticks contain skin rejuvenating active ingredients, CoEnzyme Q10 and Aloe Vera, that help slow down the ageing process. CoQ10 has the ability to improve energy production in cells, and act as an antioxidant which is great for skin-firming. CoQ10 also stimulated the production of essential skin ingredients (such as collagen) to allow the body to regenerate new skin cells. Aloe Vera has been used for years to calm, nourish and regenerate the skin. Its detoxifying properties help to strengthen skin cells, which results in a younger looking, healthy complexion – all that in a handy gel stick that will fit in any size handbag and can be eaten on the go – help: revitalise my skin is perfect for those who are looking for a guilt free snack!