Stars know everything about skincare because it’s their job to have flawless skin and they can also afford to spend hundreds of dollars on the latest moisturiser, but they also have some easy-to-follow rules when it comes to a good skincare regime.
- Drink water… I know you have heard it so many times but the celebrities swear by it. However this will not keep your skin moist but it will help in the overall upkeep of your health (and in turn your skin). So grab a glass and read on.
- A bit of soap and soda… Celebs know that it’s not about labels, but what works when it comes to cleansers. Jennifer Aniston swears by her cheap glycerine-rich facial bar which she uses most nights. It doesn’t contain any harsh detergents, dyes or hardeners. It removes excess oil and then rinses clean — without leaving any pore-clogging residue. Queen Latifah insists, “I’ve been washing my face with baking soda (bicarbonate of soda for us Brits!) for years. It’s not harsh on the skin and gives me a glow.”
- Home made holistic approach… Molly Sims recommends exfoliation, she makes her own concoction. “I mix honey and moisturiser and put it all over my face. It’s a great exfoliant. I leave it on a few minutes and then wash it off.” Many top Hollywood dermatologists and facialists insist that natural and simple is the way to go. They love dry oatmeal as a natural scrub and a simple egg white mask (leave it on 10 minutes and then wash) as a pore-tightener. If you want brighter skin then just mash a fresh peach, leave it on your face for 10 minutes and then wash it off.
- Sunscreen, sunscreen and more sunscreen… We know skin care experts have been harping on it for years, but sunscreen is one of your most important defences against ageing skin. Rain or shine, you should lather it on as the last piece of your skin care regime. Just remember to wash it off when you call it a day so your pores don’t get clogged.
- Clean your mobile phone… Your mobile phone is a bacteria farm because you spend all day pressing your face to the pad – so clean it frequently to avoid contamination… in fact be sure everything that touches the sensitive areas of your face is clean by wiping with antibacterial wipes… including the nose pads of your sunglasses.
- They remember there is skin on the rest of their bodies… Molly Sims says, “Buy a body brush and dry brush your entire body. Do this before you get in the bath or shower. It’s a way to detox and helps with circulation.”
- Celebs know that no matter how exhausted they are, the bathroom sink is their best friend… “There are nights when I’m tired or busy with my daughter, but I do force myself to wash up and moisturise,” says Jessica Alba. In other words, never, ever, ever go to sleep without first washing your face and ridding it of make-up.
- Celebs don’t grow science experiments in their bathroom… Top Hollywood skin pros advise you to stock up on as many wash cloths as you can. The rule is you pat your face off ONCE with the wash cloth and then toss it in the laundry, wash and dry. When you pat and then leave it on the counter or towel rack, the thing grows a virtual seventh-grade science experiment of bacteria… then you re-wet it… and… you’ve guessed, you’re putting bacteria into your pores.