Many things cause our skin to age. Some things we cannot do anything about; others we can influence. To help you continue to have that youthful complexion it’s important to educate yourself on the basics, including the causes of ageing, prevention strategies and more.
One thing that we cannot change is the natural ageing process. It plays a key role. With time, we all get visible lines on our face. It is natural for our face to lose some of its youthful fullness. We notice our skin becoming thinner and drier. Our genes largely control when these changes occur.
We can influence another type of ageing that affects our skin. Our environment and lifestyle choices can cause our skin to age prematurely. Sun exposure, smoking – and even a poor diet – contribute to premature ageing. Understanding these and other causes of ageing is an important step to prevent ageing and the formation of lines, wrinkles and discoloration as you age.
You’re never too young – or too old – to protect your skin from the causes of ageing.
- Protect your skin from the sun every day. Whether spending a day at the beach or running errands, sun protection is essential. You can protect your skin by seeking shade, covering up with clothing, and using sunscreen that is broad-spectrum, SPF 30 (or higher), and water-resistant. You should apply sunscreen every day to all skin that is not covered by clothing.
- Apply self-tanner rather than get a tan. Every time you get a tan, you prematurely age your skin. This holds true if you get a tan from the sun, a tanning bed, or other indoor tanning equipment. All emit harmful UV rays that accelerate how quickly your skin ages.
- If you smoke, stop. Smoking greatly speeds up how quickly skin ages. It causes wrinkles and dull, sallow complexion.
- Avoid repetitive facial expressions. When you make a facial expression, you contract the underlying muscles. If you repeatedly contract the same muscles for many years, these lines become permanent. Wearing sunglasses can help reduce lines caused by squinting.
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet. Findings from a few studies suggest that eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables may help prevent damage that leads to premature skin ageing. Findings from research studies also suggest that a diet containing lots of sugar or other refined carbohydrates can accelerate ageing.
- Drink less alcohol. Alcohol is rough on the skin. It dehydrates the skin, and in time, damages the skin. This can make us look older.
- Exercise most days of the week. Findings from a few studies suggest that moderate exercise can improve circulation and boost the immune system. This, in turn, may give the skin a more-youthful appearance. Watch out for strenuous exercise that will have you screwing up your face with the effort, as this will lead to wrinkles!!
- Try to sleep on your back. Do you wake up with sleep lines on your face? Sleeping on your side or your face causes these lines. In time, these lines turn into permanent wrinkles.
- Cleanse your skin gently. Scrubbing your skin clean can irritate your skin. Irritating your skin accelerates skin ageing. Gentle washing helps to remove pollution, makeup, and other substances without irritating your skin.
- Apply a facial moisturizer every day. Moisturizer traps water in our skin, giving it a more youthful appearance.
- Stop using skin care products that sting or burn. When your skin burns or stings, it means your skin is irritated. Irritating your skin can make it look older.
- Fight free radicals with powerful antioxidants. Free radicals, also known as the assailants of good skin, occur because of a natural but disruptive process called oxidation. These scavengers wreak havoc on living cells, damaging DNA and leaving your skin vulnerable to environmental stress. Free radicals show up every day as pollution, car exhaust, smoking, UV rays, radiation and pesticides.
So what’s the best defense in your anti-aging arsenal? Antioxidants defend your cells and maintain damage control by acting as a buffer and stabilizing free radicals. Our anti-ageing product help: revitalise my skin contains a potent antioxidant – CoEnzyme Q10 (CoQ10) and is designed to help your skin look and feel in tip top condition. It also contains skin loving Aloe Vera to aid with skin rejuvenation. Only one tasty, low calorie, gel stick needed a day to get your skin looking and feeling great. Check out our website for more details on help: revitalise my skin.